Island castle set in the middle of Mount's Bay, just off the coast of Marazion. The Mount is now managed by the National Trust but remains the home of St Aubyn family.
One of a pair of defensive structures, the other being on the far side of the river mouth in Fowey. The blockhouses were linked by a huge metal chain which could be raised to prevent ships entering the harbour during an attack. Built in 1380 primarily to defend from French and Spanish.
The 16th century Old Blockhouse is located at the southern end of Old Grimsby harbour on Tresco. It was built in the reign of Henry VIII as part of a series of coastal defences to protect against invasion from the French.
St Catherine's Castle was built, as one of several fortifications running along the south coast in 1536, to protect Fowey harbour from French Invasion and is now managed by English Heritage
Castle set on the high motte (mound) of a stronghold built soon after the Norman Conquest
Pendennis Castle was built in the middle of the 16th century by Henry VIII as one of a pair of forts, with St Mawes Castle, to protect the Fal Estuary from the threat of invasion from France and Spain
Surrounded by a deep moat and perched on a high mound, the huge circular keep of this castle, built at the turn of the 14th century, survives in good condition.
Perfectly preserved coastal fortress built by Henry VIII. In partnership with its twin, Pendennis, it guards the entrance of the Fal Estuary.
Clifftop ruins of castle which was allegedly the fortress used by King Arthur.
Extensive defensive walls and earthworks dating back to the 16th century